Friday, July 6, 2012

Two Year Vacation?

Oh goodness. I had no idea that it had been two years since I last posted here. It's sad really. Posting various events worthy of comment and celebration on Facebook had replaced this blog.


I attempted to document my children's lives in scrapbooks and failed miserably. At a recent scrapbooking event, I sat next to my friend who has successfully used one thick scrapbook per year for each of her two children, I looked at my measly three pages and thought, I'll never catch up. It's not that I think that I need to have one scrapbook per child per year (which would total 27 if I was keeping up - and where would I store all of them?), but Lord knows I have enough photos to use to do it. I've always liked taking pictures and it's such sweet victory when everything comes together in a photo - the lighting, the focus, the expression on the face of my victim, I mean, subject. But something about putting the pictures in a scrapbook to be stored on a shelf never seemed right for me. I want to see them often and enjoy them. So when I would attempt to scrapbook, it was with the intention of framing the page and displaying it on a wall in my home. And my perfection monster would take over, and none of the scrapbook pages I started ever got finished.


So then, I thought, a blog would be perfect! I could feature my favorite photos and document the blog-worthy event and it would be free (no more expensive trips to the scrapbooking or craft store) - and easy (no more lugging around suitcases full of paper and supplies) - and apparently forgotten once I created an account on Facebook. With just a few short sentences and a photo, it turned into an abbreviated version of my blog. And the people I really cared about seeing my blog were already on Facebook, so why duplicate efforts?


A friend at work shared her daughter's blog with me recently. She wrote beautifully, she shared so much about her view on life and the journey she was going through. It was inspiring, but so not for posting on Facebook. And it hit me. It can be like a diary. You might show a few people, but it isn't for all 168 of your "closest" friends on Facebook to see. Or over 1,300 if you're one of my nieces. This also inspired me to encourage my oldest daughter to have a blog. She is still working on her first blogpost, but it's so neat to see life through her eyes; what matters to an 11 year old.


And so... that's how I got here again. While I would love to go back over the two years and fill in the blanks, I can't promise anything. I think it's better to start with the here and now and go back if time permits. Otherwise, I may always be two years behind.

So stay tuned.

No comments: